Now that we have a couple of years experience of growing it seems like we are getting a handle on what grape varieties will work for us. Since we gravitate towards the cool climate whites and reds it only makes sense that we add to some of those that we already have. While we are still a very small vineyard adding a few hundred vines here and there will allow us to hopefully make a more meaningful amount of wine in the future.
We actually planned on planting the vines over Memorial weekend but a shipping challenge meant the vines did not arrive in time. It probably worked out for the best as it allowed for a much more relaxing holiday weekend spending time with friends and family.
Unlike 2011 when we had a huge planting crew for the original vineyard this years planting solely on me with a little help from my dad. Luckily the weather cooperated for me so the augering/digging and planting went by fairly smoothly. It did of course take longer than anticipated (it somehow always does) but after 2 days they were all in the ground with bamboo stakes and grow tubes added for protection and training help.
We ended up planting 75 more Grüner Veltliner, 150 more Riesling (clones 49 & 90) and 150 more Blaufränkisch (clones 1 & 2) for a total of 375 vines. This takes our total number of vines over 900 and leaves us with no more room within the current deer fence. Should we look to add more vines in the future we will need to expand the deer fence.
Now we sit back and hope for the right amount of rain and plenty of days of warm weather to help the new vines along.